Friday, April 15, 2005

Music

If you were in college in the '80's you should do yourself a favor and pick up the Left of the Dial box set from Rhino. I'm listening to it as I write my lesson plans. Mmm. It's got all the tasty stuff you didn't have the balls to steal from the campus radio station. (If you are reading this you are probably like me - a mostly straight arrow boy scout with a penchant for delicious but very cheap canned beer.) I just can't stop playing a few of the tracks: "Lake of Fire" by the Meat Puppets, "Cattle and Cane" by the GoBetweens, and "I Want to Help You Ann" by the Lyres. It's so good. Why didn't they elect the Lyres president instead of Bush I in 1988? They could have had a joint presidency thing. The delightful infectious garage rock that would have emanated from the White House. I'm sure it would have worked better than what really happened.

No comments: