Monday, April 11, 2005

Invisible in the my classroom

Today was one those days where you never seem to feel comfortable in your own skin. I got up late because my alarm clock never went off and I never got back that missing hour. Everything was a little off and uncomfortable today and I lacked the feeling of confidence that you get from arriving early, well rested, and fully prepared. Tomorrow will be better. It won't be Monday for a start.

My students, especially the boys, were horrible this afternoon. There were two fights in the classroom before we were 10 minutes into math. Students were throwing paper and other junk around the room. They wouldn't stop talking. They ignored everything. I hate that more than anything. I hate feeling invisible in my classroom.

Tonight's night class was too long and too boring to believe. I looked out the window and watched the freight trains pulling out of the switchyard and watched the sun set in a magnificent burst of purple, orange, and yellow.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hang in there. Getting through your first year teaching is about as tough as anything. Just try to focus on why you are doing what you are doing. I find that it helps me get through the day when the kids (I teach high school biology) are crazy, if I just remember that I ALWAYS have a chance to help a kid learn something s/he wouldn't if I weren't her/his teacher.

Take care of yourself. Remember- you can always smile when you think of your daughter. I know I do. Feel free to check out my blog if you want. Fair warning though - it sucks, I don't pay a lot of attention to it. Its at concentrationgradient.blogspot.com.

Only about 8 weeks until summer.

MRSX said...

Wow rookie teacher. Ouch!!

I thought my life in a cubicle was rough.

Well you must be a pretty good teacher. Your blog caught a strangers eye that didnt have to read it. I would almost bet your are profoundly affecting at least one your students.

Good luck my friend. ~Jenn