Thursday, May 22, 2008

Get me the Hell out of here! I mean now, damn it!

This is just a day from Hell. So bad that I needed to stop in the middle and write about it. I can't take the talking back. I'm sick of it. I'm tired of being called a racist because I tell students to stop talking during my lessons. I'm tired of this whole f$%#ing inner city mentality of I'm going to fight you every step of the way for everything. I'm done with it. I'm done. There's about an hour and a half left. I'll make it but I want to scream. I'm not working in a school today. It's a correctional facility. No learning is taking place. It's just a maelstrom of anger, hormones, and feces. Ugh.

(Yes, for the regular readers, someone is pooping in the halls again. Much love.)

Perhaps I'm not so sad about possibly leaving this?

5 comments:

FranceswithanEe said...

May I ask what the lesson(s) was today? Do you think their lack of attention is because they could care less about the subject being taught?

Do students act similarly with all the teachers?

Darx said...

Yeah, I'm thinking your former ambivalence sounds gone, daddy, gone. Get thee to the suburbs! I was telling a teacher friend about you last Friday and the kind of stuff you write about and he was like, yeah, I couldn't do that. There's no shame in wanting to teach kids who are a little less, uh, negative about being in school. Sucks for the kids you have now who do behave and want to learn, but you can only do so much. You do have at least some good kids, right??

The Teacher said...

To franceswithanee:

I teach every subject in a self-contained classroom. We also spent a lot of time on an end of the year service project. They could care less and that is the problem. The entire school is like this and my class will be like this with me, a substitute, any other teacher, or the principal. It doesn't matter. Most of it is because it's the end of the year. They have made it to May. Many of them have done a good job but now that the end is near, why give a crap? That's the mentality. It's sad because all the good things will be undone in these final weeks of craziness. It's a preparation ritual for the summer when no one will pay attention to them. There won't be any school or afterschool program to occupy or protect them. Many of them are scared to death. So this craziness is a way for them to get ready for the summer. They need to get rid of any of the happy memories of the teacher and school and prepare for the Texas cage match that will serve as their summer. Sad but true. This craziness is really their way of thanking us. Up is down, down is up. If you do become a lawyer and try to do good in the city, you will experience it for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Personally, my heart goes out to you. It sounds a lot like my class last year. Nothing I did or tried could get that class to care. Either wait another year or find a different area to teach in. Not all schools are that bad. Sometimes it is just the class. Please hang in there. Mystery Teacher Linda

Anonymous said...

What grade do you teach? Have you thought of going to a different grade? school?