Thursday, May 15, 2008

Contract in hand at the microphone stand!

I have been offered a new contract! Oh happy day! I guess this time around my teaching was up to snuff. Also, I didn't run afoul of my principal. This year I kept my friggin' mouth shut and everything worked out just fine.

Last year's teaching was just as good as this year's. My principal from last year was just a strutting peacock inflated with the hot breath from the people kissing his big ass. Whatever I said gave him the impression (correctly!) that I saw right through him. I did too. I had his number from go. This dude is pretty well known. When you see him you'll look through him like window glass, too, if you are smart. You are smart or you wouldn't be reading my fabulous blog. Hopefully, you didn't pay him to speak at your conference.

There are quite a few charlatans in our business. They are the ones that make sure you know they have a doctorate or masters degree. They are the ones that strut around and politic and glad hand. When the going gets tough they say inspiring things like "teach math before lunch" and "be sure and sign in on time, you were late yesterday." They take home really big paychecks for nuggets of wisdom like this. Here's another - "You can get information about Gettysburg from the Internet." Thanks. My old principal told me that one day as we were gathering materials for a big project. This guy makes almost 6 figures. 6 friggin' figures! The toaster in the break room has more smarts and it can heat up frozen pizza!!

But I, hopefully, will never see him again. What am I going to do this summer? Should I work?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your ATTITUDE. It's sometimes the only way we get through the day, and wade through the Bullshit that teaching now includes. I teach in a poor Latino neighborhood in California, and I adore my kids, but the NCLB crap and all the testing is sapping all of our spirits!!! Will it change? Or should I bail.

Anonymous said...

My mouth got me into trouble a few times over the years. Once I made a comment and didn't realize that my principal was standing right behind me. He was so pompous that he made a big deal out of it. Glad you got your new contract.

Darx said...

It seems like both congratulations and condolences are in order. I think this summer you should write. I want to read your novel already, dangit.

Anonymous said...

it took me 4 principals (i stayed put-- they were all cycled through the same school not that far away from yours) to find one who is the real deal. keep at it, cause when that happens, it all seems a little more worth it. congrats on your retention.