Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cartman


I was watching South Park last night and in the episode Cartman becomes a teacher and is sent to the inner city to teach at-risk children. (The reasons are too bizarre to get into.) He changes his appearance and looks like Jaime Escalante in Stand and Deliver. This episode was funny as hell but was surprisingly accurate in its view of the inner city classroom. I have been in places like the graffiti-tagged school he ends up in. The students he teaches were a lot like my first 7th-grade class. Also Kyle's warning to Cartman was so true: "Dude, you're a white boy giving orders... they're going to f&*$ing kill you." Throughout, Cartman turns to the audience and says "How do I reach these kids?" Something I say a million times, although without the Spanish accent Cartman was using. (Also Cartman tells them to cheat because that's what White people do. I can't get behind that sort of thing.) Anyhow, it was a wonderful way to laugh myself into bed. I've never quoted from South Park before. Cartman was so cute as a tiny Mr. Escalante.

3 comments:

Darx said...

I love South Park.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to laugh. I taught in a very tough middle school for five years. At the same time, my sister-in-law was teaching in a rural high school. She always told me that her students were good because they respected her. Her biggest class only had about six kids. If someone hasn't experienced inner city type teaching, they just don't get it.

Mimi said...

Sorry I missed that one...