Wednesday, October 29, 2008

World Serious

We finally won the world series. I couldn't be happier. I'd love to take off for the parade and maybe I will. Everyone will know where I am and that could pose problems with the principal. The kids will know, too. That will pose problems with discipline. I'm supposed to be the example. IT'S THE WORLD SERIES! Oh, well. We teachers have to uphold the virtues of responsibility and accountability.

I'm happy we won because it helps out a rather awful week. We're deep into the workload. My kids are way behind in everything and the administration wants us to fill out those graphs, spreadsheets, and reflections. Hours of time to do this. Almost all of those hours are unpaid and spent at home at night. We teachers have it easy, though.

My kids are horrible the past few days. They just keep talking and whining. It's getting old. It's hard to adjust to your new class each year. This class is not a lot of fun. They whine too much for me. I have little patience for whiners.

I have little patience for excuses and the people who make them. One of our administrators has changed this year. Last year he was all about accountability from the kids. "Kids need to do their work, maintain discipline, and get passing grades." That was last year. This year he is all about excuses. "These kids have lots of problems. Their home life sucks. Can't you give them another chance? Can't you give the student more time to complete his test? Can't you give a simpler quiz?" Everything is the teacher's fault and not the parent or child's. This excuse making is setting them up for failure. The world doesn't care that Joe has an IEP that says he can't write a paragraph. Making excuses doesn't do any favors. This administrator is changing everything in midstream. It's confusing everyone. No one knows the rules anymore.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Savor the victory, man. I'm taking off Fridy for the parade. Fortunately, like Charles Barkley, I'm not a role model, at least not yet. Alex is 2, but he might not see another win in his lifetime, so we've got to go.

Can the Phillies and Obama win back to back? I don't know if I can handle so much euphoria.

Darx said...

I think you should go to the parade. Yes, you're setting an example, that once in a lifetime chances should not be missed, that there are more important things than doing what everyone else wants you to do, that being passionate about something is a good thing. Go to the parade! Hooray, I'm so glad your team won. Hooray!

Darx said...

PS - I did not mean that I think that the Phillies will only ever win the World Series just this one time. Love to the Phillies!