Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Go Phils! Down with stupid paperwork and ridiculous meetings!

I'm so busy with grading, report cards, and stupid meetings. Our administration just wants to use up our available time. I have to be in the classroom teaching all day. Then I'm up all night for days in a row putting grades into the computer until my eyes cross and my head hits the keyboard. Every day this week my principal has meetings for me. Today I went to two. Everything needs to be done now. Let's look at benchmark results. Let's meet about last year's test results. Let's meet about strategies to integrate technology. Let's meet about strategies to improve metacognition. Let's meet about .... How about you let us teachers get our work done? I have about 15,000 little boxes to tick on the stupid computerized report card. I also have lessons to plan and write. I have a stack of papers to grade. I have detentions to supervise and write up. I have parents to call. I have a teacher I'm mentoring. I have lots to do. Let me do it!

Why do administrators forget what it's like to be a teacher when they become administrators? It's some law of human nature. It happens in all professions. Rare is the boss that remembers what it was like to be a grunt in the trenches. If only they would remember. The world would be so much more pleasant. So maybe paperwork would take a few extra days to complete? The world won't mind.

On another more pressing matter, GO PHILS! Cole Hamels pitched a gem tonight. If only we'd stop leaving people on base. We could have scored a hell of a lot more runs. Thank goodness 3 runs did it. Tomorrow I'm teaching in a Phillies cap and a strategically placed rally towel. So comfy. My principal is going to love it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have certainly driven home a point classroom teachers experience daily. Why is it that teacher expectations are so unreal now? Could you imagine if we ignored our student needs...wait a minute..that's exactly what administrators have set us up to do with all the meetings and documentation!!!
I have taught for over 22 years now, and am truly considering finding another career. Who would have expected that good teachers would be driven out, not by students, but by our local and national administration efforts.
Is there any help for us, or hope on the horizon?

Anonymous said...

I caught the beginning of the game when we got dinner at a bar last night around the corner from our house. I was hoping I'd get an update from your blog on how it came out. We only saw the first out and the national anthem being sung by some guys I didn't recognize who were wearing very un-flattering pants.

The Teacher said...

Those guys are The Backstreet Boys, my favorite band. Those pants are haute couture. I wear them as I watch baseball. You should be wearing them too. Actually, I'll email you a pattern so you can create some on your loom.

Darx said...

Yeah, I figured they were someone uber-famous that I should know on sight and that it would blow my incredibly hip cover to reveal that I couldn't tell them from Adam. Or would that be Adam and three of his friends?

I don't think you could pay me enough money to wear tapered jeans.

Unknown said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I am glad to see others are drowning too! I swear if one more person comes to me to say, "Could you please do this....? (insert a job that someone else doesn't want to do here)! I will literally, go in my classroom, shut the door, SCREAM AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS (using profanity) and then be in a bad mood all day! Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one.