Monday, May 02, 2005

Reading

My night class is so useless. The only good thing about the class is that it occurs in West Philly. Usually, I can hit a bookstore or Indian restaurant before or after class. I wish there was an Ethiopan restaurant closeby but they're all out on Baltimore Avenue or beyond. Too far to go before class begins, plus if I started eating the delicious Ethiopian and drinking beers I'd never get to class. I digress. I bought a book for the boys in my class called Guys Write for Guys Read by Jon Scieszka. The boys in my class don't read anything and I have so much trouble with them. Independent reading time is a bitch. The boys just talk and screw around instead of reading. I bought this book to perhaps interest them. I'm going to bring this out of my secret stash and bestow it on one of my boys to check out. Make a big production. Hopefully it will inspire some of them. There's a wide variety of stories in the book and perhaps a few will stick.

I wish that more of my students would read for pleasure. I used to read like crazy when I was in elementary school. I still read as much as possible but work, family, and sleep steal my reading time. I can't wait for the summer and the uninterrupted reading time.

The wheels came off today, the kids were horrible.

No comments: