Saturday, December 22, 2007

Literacy coaches are a waste of tax money.

I was raking the lawn today and it gave me some time to reflect. I am so busy as a teacher that it is hard to find quality time to be reflective. That was one of the things I was thinking about as I raked. I thought back to the meetings of the past week. Lots of meetings where administrators asked us teachers to complete huge forms identifying problem areas in our teaching and other forms describing all of the new strategies we will use to improve all the weaknesses in our students. These meetings make me miserable. The district has all of these administrators and coaches that do no classroom teaching. They make a lot more money than a lowly classroom teacher like the rookie schoolteacher. These people run these meetings where they literally sit on the teachers until they produce these documents. Why don't these people do their jobs?

I am a classroom teacher. I'm in the trenches fighting the good fight. I am not a general with an overview of the battle. I cannot formulate strategy. I'm trying to survive. I'm trying to keep my soldiers alive. That's it. The literacy coaches, math coaches, and principals all have the experience, courses, and time to analyze data and invent strategies for us to use. Why don't we teachers band together in these meetings and tell these lazy people to do their jobs? It really makes me sick. The coaches in my school never teach anything to anyone. They are always too busy to help you plan a lesson, teach a sample lesson, or help you figure out how to use the textbooks and all the materials that go with them. They are usually busy drinking coffee, running errands for the principal, or just missing in action. These people could be analyzing data. They simply are wasting time and they make classroom teachers do the work instead. Literacy coaches and math coaches are a waste of tax money.

I sure don't understand. Just some thoughts about the layers of unaccountability between my classroom and the door to the parking lot. Being reflective helped me rake the lawn. It sure looks nice except for those bare patches where the leaves wrecked the grass. Being a teacher just doesn't allow for much time for domestic chores during the teaching part of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally, but do you think I can find any research discussing the problems that go along with "coaching".
I've been teaching for 10 years, and have to suffer with a woman that literally admits that she doesn't like to read, and yet acts as our know-it-all literacy coach. Because of her lack of passion, and love of text, all she can do is spout from the horse's mouth. Get rid of novels - sure! How about standardizing every breath that happens in our classes and divisions - great! And then what do I see on my way to the photocopier during prep? There she is standing at the office again laughing it up with our secretary: who jokes about how lazy and useless she is.

The position drives me crazy, and yet every academic I read goes on and on about this stuff. I'm starting to feel that research in the field of education is not very rigorous. The whole field of study seems more like a politically driven love-in that a serious field of study!